Thursday, August 5, 2010

Indulgences

(An indulgence is the extra-sacramental remission of the temporal punishment due, in God's justice, to sin that has been forgiven, which remission is granted by the Church in the exercise of the power of the keys, through the application of the superabundant merits of Christ and of the saints, and for some just and reasonable motive.) The above definition of an Indulgence was taken from www.newadvent.org


If I really loved You, Lord, I would embrace every opportunity to grow in faith, hope and love. Do I seek out indulgences to better prepare my soul to be free of the temporal punishments due to sin so that I may not tease You with my love by delaying our union after this life by having to undergo further purification?
I know that Divine Love is not impatient but He does deserve my greatest efforts in working toward perfection in this life so that I may not cause His perfect love to wait for me on account of the slowness of my love.
Grant me a true hunger for indulgences so that I may not be accountable for neglecting the knowledge I have today with regard to how I could have better prepared myself for eternity.
May I not rob 'Love' of a Milli-second of my love by neglecting to use all the graces at my disposal for my greater sanctification and lasting union with the Divine Bridegroom of my soul.
Lord, in Your great mercy admit the Holy Souls into Your Thrice Holy presence. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment