Friday, July 23, 2010

Reconciliation Service March 23rd 2007 St. Patrick's Burin

What is sin? Is it not a rejection of God’s will in favour of our own? In the Gospel that we have just heard the people in the crowd were given a choice between Jesus Christ and Jesus Barabbas. It is interesting to note that Barabbas who was a criminal also had the same first name as Jesus Christ and furthermore his surname means ‘son of the father’. Barabbas stands for each and every one of us, he stands for our own will which is accepted over and above God’s will, which is to believe in his only begotten Son. The people in the crowd were Jews who had been under the oppression of the Roman Empire for years and were seeking release from their bondage. God also wanted to release them from their bondage and through the prophets he promised to deliver them. It was God's will however to release them from bondage to the evil that the human heart is capable of by eliminating sin. However, they were not willing to wait upon the Lord to rescue them because they preferred their own concept of deliverance. Deliverance which came by the sword. Barabbas was a criminal, he was a murderer one that knew how to fight with the sword and therefore the crowd chose him because he was in keeping with their will.

How I have longed to gather together all of my children. Do you know how much rejection hurts? I am the author of love and for me the hurt is so much more real. When I stood before Pilate and heard the crowd call for Barabbas instead of me, what was I to say? Who shall stand in the crowd and call my name, will you? When you come before a priest acknowledging your sins you are calling out my name because you are calling on my name. I will be looking for you. You must teach others to call my name.

I want you to abandon yourself into my loving arms. I want you for myself, me alone. I am in this for the long haul. I promise to be true. You will not match me in charity. My love is too potent it will get you every time. I’m not kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment